Monday, December 17, 2018

Weird Metaphors and Meditative Chores

I'm sitting here dropping off the kids at the proverbial pool. And I just may not pick them back up!




I feel like I've painted a disturbing image with this metaphor.
 Let's agree to forget I even said this...

It's been a long time since I've typed one of these up on the toilet. 

Anyways. I've got a lot of shit to do today. Well not all today, but this morning. 

Alright, so what I'm intending to do here is over the next couple of days to practice mindfulness meditation. Every day I'm going to focus on a single channel (hearing, seeing, or feeling) until I've done them all. Today I'll focus on the outer hearing channel. Tomorrow I'll focus on the inner hearing channel. 

Some context: I practice a mindfulness meditation method outlined by actualized.org. What you do is take note of a stimulus in your environment (something you see, hear or feel), label it (determine whether you see, hear, or feel it) and then savor it (focus on the thing for seven seconds.) These are called outer sensations because they're happening in your environment. You also do this with things you hear in your head. Maybe you've got "Party in the USA" stuck on replay (you do now) or you see a bike whenever you close your eyes. You label and savor these things too. You also note your emotions and how and where they make you feel. These three types of stimuli are called outer sensations because they're happening inside your body. Leo from actualized.org explains it in depth here. I know this all sounds a bit convoluted but I love it. It's been a part of my morning for the better half of a year.

This is the endgame of all of this...



Alright, let me stop slacking off...

Peace the fuck out.

Pool kids © Roto-Rooter Plumbing & Water Cleanup

Flying man picture © 123RF Limited





No comments:

Post a Comment