Thursday, January 12, 2023

Book Note Links and PUA Hijinks

Just got done taking notes on Atomic Habits. As you can see, I've sort of established a pattern of doing that, before I post here.

Since I can obviously see my stats page, I can tell that posting the link to this blog in my Instagram bio has helped with the traffic. So as a bit of an experiment, I'd like to link my notes to the shit I'm reading every day.



Although I feel the need to explain why I'm reading a dating book since I honestly don't care about dating. I've mentioned repeatedly that I spent most of last year reading No More Mr. Nice Guy, and it changed my life. No More Mr. Nice Guy is by the same author (Dr. Rober Glover) as this dating book. So it just felt like a natural progression reading it. 

But let's get one thing straight. 

I think PUA is the most cringe-worthy thing in the fucking world. As a teen, I absolutely vowed never to read, listen to, or even watch people talk about pick-up artistry. It's abject fucking nonsense at best, and it's misleading, pseudo-intellectual snake oil at worst. There are lots of young dudes out here spitting horrible pick-up lines to random women when they should be spitting their life stories to a fucking therapist, instead. 

I think it's telling, that the guy who wrote the most popular book on the topic of PUA, won't even do an interview about it, and has disowned the book repeatedly. 

The reason I hate PUA so much is because 17-year-old Joe got misled as well. I used to hang out on the Red Pill subreddit, every day. Granted it only took me like three months to realize that shit was stupid and contradictory. And honestly, you can't always throw the baby out with the bathwater.

If it wasn't for the Red Pill community on Reddit, I wouldn't have read half of the shit I've read or have made the strides in personal development that I made. I only started meditating because The Red Pill told me to. I shaved myself bald at 18 because the Red Pill told me to. I started reading about psychology and body language because the Red Pill told me to.

That said half of the shit I read on that forum was absolute, offensive, bollocks . Half of those dudes were either legitimately sociopathic or lying like hell for clout. (People would legit post shit like "I Slept With My Wife's Mom And She Found Out and I Don't Care, HAHAHA" I'm an Alpha.)  But it provided me with the clarity to steer clear of morons talking about "Alpha, and beta males" and "blue pill and red pill lifestyles."


(And before you go getting any ideas, this all happened when I was 17- 18; I'm not some repentant MRA dissing his old friends.) 

God, that was long-winded. 

But yeah, I'm not reading some fucking pick-up book, and I resent that notion. 

PUA is for fucking losers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment